Departments of a Sales Organization
Sales organization is a combination of various departments. These departments are jointly responsible for marketing the products. In a good sales organization, all departments carefully planned. There should be adequate co-ordination among all the departments. Each department or section should be self-contained and there should not be overlapping of functions. Division of labour and proper delegation of authority create a sound sales organization.
Sales organization is the counterpart of the factory. Just as the factory produces goods on a mass scale, in the same manner, the sales department, with the help of the salesmanship, advertising and sales promotion, produces mass markets and brings about mass distribution through multiple channels of distribution. Now the question arises, how many departments a sales organization should have? This depends upon a number of a factors such as company, objective, manufacture’s, view of marketing, the importance of different marketing tools, the type and number of products and the character of competition. In a business enterprise, a sales organization may have the following departments.
Different Departments of a Sales Organisation
- Advertising Department. Advertising department played a constructive role as a bridge between production and distribution activities of the organization. Thus, advertising department is highly essential to make the people aware of the existence of subjects and their special features. Unless and until and customers know about the products they cannot demand them.
- Sales Department. Sales are the life blood of business. It is considered to be the heart of sales organization. It is the controlling effervescent. It is headed by sales manager who is assisted by sales supervisors, salesmen and sales clerks to discharge those duties that are indispensable to execute the work of selling. In small organizations, this department carries out all the functions. of other departments.
- Marketing research Department. This is the most important department in sales organization. This department collects information regarding the utility and marketing of the product, the nature of demand, the nature competition, adequacy or ineffectiveness of collects information regarding the consumer’s requirements and complaints about the products.
- Credit Department. In a business organization most of the sales are credit sales. Credit is the breath of modern business and soul of selling efforts. Credit transactions are accounted for a lion’s share of total business transacted. In a business enterprises credit policies are decided by top executives. This department states the conditions under which credit can be granted. If a strict and stringent policy is enforced., it may be too conservative and results in restricted sales finally reduces the profit. On the other hand, a liberal credit policy is sure to increase the sales with likely increase in the doses of bad debts cat away increased profits.
- Personnel Department. This department is responsible to develop the manpower of the sales organization in an organized way. Personnel manager is expected to Recruited the candidates for the posts of salesmen, select them, train them, place them, equip them, direct them, co-ordinate their energies and efforts, motivate them to their best of their abilities and control them within the framework of set targets and constraints to make functions more flexible and working. Sub-departments and section helps to have an efficient sales force and promotes employees potentialities.